Wednesday, January 25, 2012

5 Months

Baby boy, You are now 5 months old. Unbelievably, you are more perfect today than you were the day you were born. I am sorry I haven't written. It's hard because if I write to you while I am at work (which is when I have time, ironically), it makes me think of you and miss you something terrible. And I don't want to do it at any other time because I am either with you and loving every minute of it or doing something else that gets neglected otherwise (like sleeping, cleaning, or just relaxing). So a quick, bulleted rundown of my 5 month old sweetheart:

  • You have the sweetest giggle, and you giggle at the most random things. Makes momma's heart swell! I was making potatoes the other night and you were hanging out in my Snugli pouch. As I turned them over in the skillet, you giggled a sleepy giggle. So tender! You've laughed at the sound of potato chip wrappers and when being tickled near your underarm (right side is most ticklish) or your cute fleshy legs.
  • You LOVE hanging out in my Snugli. I call you my kangaroo. You help me make dinner. You love our Sunday walks with Jett and Tami at the mall. And at nighttime, when daddy is chilling out watching TV, we are "walking and rocking" in the Snugli.
  • Another recent favorite is flipping. You've always been one to love movement, (walk & rock), but now I will set you on my knee and hold your hips. You will lean forward (think "King of the World!" from Titanic) for awhile, and when you are ready, you fold yourself in half over my leg and I flip you around. When I'm afraid your getting dizzy of that way, we take a break then start again, this time laying you on my lap on your back and flipping you backwards. Silly kid. No vertigo for you! You are gonna be my amusement park baby, daddy's riding partner!
  • You are such an observer. You watch everything so intently. Especially daddy. While in my pouch in the evenings, you just stare your daddy down. He's been working on a model car and you just oogled as he worked with his hands. You're gonna be a builder too, huh?
  • You take the things you watch and you mimic them. You make sounds like we do. One night a few weeks ago, I said "growing, growing, growing" in a sing-song voice and I swear you repeated with "going, going, going". I am trying to get you to say "mamamama" and "dadadada" You can also mimic our movements. We stick our tongue out, you do it too. We reach a hand out to you, you reach back. So smart!
  • Another new trick is to blow raspberries. If you aren't drooling from teething, you are wetting your lips with raspberries. But you are also good at wiping your own mouth. You take the burp rag and swipe it across your lips.
  • Teething is not fun. We hate to see our baby in pain. You grab at your ears. You wake up screaming. You gnaw on anything you can, especially mommy's hand. Last night, we were in the car on the way to the auction and you just started screaming. Painful screams. I am pretty good at knowing what it is you want, and I knew you hurt and being in your carseat just amplified it. You wanted out, wanted to walk and rock with mommy. We got to the auction preview and we walked and rocked and you were fine. But as soon as we got back in the car, you screamed more. Daddy couldn't handle it. I knew what it was you wanted and why, and I knew we couldn't give it right then but would go back to it as soon as we got home, so I was relaxed about it. We got home, and you and I walked and rocked until you were ready to eat yourself to sleep. I am sorry you hurt, kiddo. Wish I could do more to help you.
  • You are strong. I talked about how you hold yourself up before flipping. But you are doing really well at pulling yourself into a sitting position when you are reclined, or from sitting to standing while holding mom or dad's thumbs.
  • You are a snuggler. Don't grow out of this, please!! You snuggle with your blanket, your toys, and my favorite, me! You have your sleepy snuggles (bum out), your waking-up snuggles (big smiles, sleepy eyes) and your pretend-to-be-shy snuggles (bury into mommy). I love them all!!
  • Your eyes are gray. They were light blue for awhile, but they have turned a beautiful, unique stone gray. Daddy still insists they're blue, but grandma P, grandpa P, grandpa B and myself all say gray. Either way, and whether they change or not, they are the most beautiful eyes I've ever looked into.
See, I wrote too much, too in depth and now I miss you something awful!!! I love you Hudson. I am sooooo very lucky to be your mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment