"Hi Darlin'." That's how I usually greet you. Or maybe "Sweet, sweet boy." or, as I come in the door at grandma's after work, a deep voiced "HuuuD-SON" to which you start looking for me. But it doesn't matter how I greet you, you are always happy to see me. It makes me feel so complete- thank you! Please don't ever lose that! You squirm around, trying to get to me, arms usually out for me, and a huge full-face grin. And, always, even cuter than the last time I saw you! I don't know how you do it, kiddo. When I pick you up, you snuggle into me with the most fulfilling hugs and loves. I love that you are a good cuddler--- don't lose that either!
To say goodbye, (almost always when dropping you off at grandma's in the morning, since I can't drag myself away from you otherwise), I think I plant about 100 kisses on you and remind you how perfect and loved you are. Then, comes our game. You just wait for our game! Our game is peek-a-boo, where I tease you from the top of the stairs, after I get ice for my cup, but before I actually go out the door. Yesterday, I broke the routine a bit though and left you with grandma for a second while I used the restroom. You just knew I was gone. You were disappointed that we hadn't played our game. You were waiting eagerly, sure that I would appear upstairs. You were surprised when I came from the restroom, but happy to know that we hadn't skipped our game. We love our game. I'll stomp a foot in, wave a hand in, and then finally jump right into your line of sight and get the sweetest smile out of you! We play this game at home too, but it's so fun that you've realized it's a routine at grandma's. You are so stinkin' smart!
Not only are you understanding the sign language (milk, eat, more, all gone and bubbles), you are starting to figure out your hands and trying to do it back. Thusfar, all your signs look like "wheels on the bus go round and round" but it's so neat that you are connecting our actions and trying to repeat them. We are starting to work on some new signs now- swim, water, bath, dog, love and random other ones as I remember to do the signs. Your seven month book is going to be about sign language, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Your eight month book is going to be about swimming.
Oh how you love swimming!! You are a water baby, which is exactly what I wanted. We just have to keep you used to it--- aw, shucks, guess that means we have to go swimming all year long! Daddy LOVES playing with you in the pool. We fight over you, each of us wanting to do this fun new thing with you, but I usually let daddy win 'cuz he's so cute with you. You aren't afraid of the water, aren't afraid of being splashed or getting dunked. You are learning to splash, kick, and blow bubbles. You know how to grab the wall, and you are so strong about it. You love doing motorboat with daddy, both forwards and backwards. You are too cute when we put you on the ledge, wanting so badly to get back in and scooting your little bum right up to the edge until you can lean right in! You are learning how much control and movement you have in the water. We love helping you walk back and forth between us in the kiddie pool. We truly love every minute of our lessons and are sad that next week is our last. Like I said, I guess we'll just have to go swimming more!
You are a roller. My little rock and roller. You roll to the things you want, but only if YOU decide to. You're kind of stubborn that way... wonder where you get that?!? You aren't crawling, but somehow, you move all over the place! On the floor, you will roll, scoot, squirm or arch your back over and over and end up a complete 180 from where you started. On our laps, you find ways to pull yourself up, squirm yourself off or roll yourself away. It's hard to explain, exactly, but you are a mover and a goer! You are going to be completely mobile WAY TOO SOON!
You're perfect personality has only gotten even more perfect! You are so easy going! You love your mommy, and like to have me close, but you aren't a whiny baby, (except sometimes with daddy...). You love people, love attention, and it doesn't really matter who it's from or how you get it, as long as someone is recognizing how wonderful you are. You are a flirt!! Oh how you love the girls! Old ones, young ones, blondes or brunettes, you just love to watch the ladies! You have the most charming face that they can't help but love you too, of course! You love to watch other kids too. You came to mommy's work with grandma to watch the bigger kids do an Easter egg hunt and you were just enthralled with them. You can't wait to be able to do all the things the big kids do!
You are sooooo observant. I love watching you as you watch the world. I can just see the wheels turning in that beautiful mind. You have realized the things that hold "power"- the keys, the remote, the phone, the locks, the light switches. You want to have the "power." You stop whatever you are doing to see what someone is doing with the "power." One of my favorites is when you examine the chain lock on our kitchen door, your face is so inquisitive and confident. I know you're thinking "I can do that!" Grandma showed you the light switch at the doctors office not too long ago, and soon after, you tested it out at another place she took you, quickly connecting the two. You always want to play with the "power" or things that you know you shouldn't be. I don't know how you instinctively know that, but you do! I will set you in your bumbo to help me get ready in the mornings and you can easily reach my makeup box. I scatter some toys in there, hoping that the colors, lights and textures will lead you to pick them up, but of course not. You always have to pick up my eyeshadow boxes, or my mascara, or my foundation. Then, of course, you nonchalantly "drop" them on the ground and grab another. You have learned the "fetch, mommy!" game and love to make me pick up after you- pretty sure you learned that from daddy.
Other things you've learned from daddy? A love for the boobens. Yes. You love mommy's milk and get jealous if I have to pump. You whine and motion for me, as if to say "that's mine!!" You are so funny! We will sign "milk" to you and you grab our hands and pull it straight to your mouth, definitely an affirmation. When I get you cradled into position for nursing, you kind of chuckle because you know what's coming. You also play and eat now. You'll suckle for awhile, then pop off and look around, smiling the whole time. Your little hands grab around, either embracing my breast, reaching for my hand or tugging at my hair or necklace. But if I try to cover up, you grab for me as if to say "I wasn't done with that!" You are your daddy's boy. I do love nursing you though. It's so calming and peaceful for me. I love looking down at you and seeing your sweet face. I love how happy and satisfied you are. I love that this is something only I can do. A special thing for me and my Hudson.
My world revolves around you, kiddo. Or rather, you ARE my world. I am not a normal person anymore. I cannot interact with normal people anymore. I used to have many dimensions, many interests, and much to say and talk about. Now, all I can think about or rationally talk about is being a mommy. It isn't "bad", but I do sometimes miss myself. But it is all worth it, every minute. I recently posted a quote on Facebook that is all too accurate: To all the unselfish moms out there who traded eyeliner for dark circles, salon cuts for ponytails, long showers for quick showers, late nights for early mornings, designer bags for diaper bags, and wouldn't change a thing. Lets see how many moms repost this. Moms who don't care about what they gave up but LOVE what they get in return. Honestly, I was feeling down about myself one day so I decided to take my lunch break and go buy myself something pretty to wear... only I got sidetracked by a baby store and ended up spending any "spendable" money on you! Guess if I'm not gonna look purdy, you might as well! Also, I just splurged on a new diaper bag and am more excited about it than I've ever been about a purse! I am a bit of a helicopter mommy right now, calling to check on you at grandma's every day, refusing to leave you with a sitter for a night out with daddy and friends, wanting so badly to keep you all to myself instead of sharing with daddy or anyone else we are out with. When I do share you, I, (mostly) unconsciously make sure that I am the last one to say "I love you," the last lips to touch your face, the last voice you hear. I recently realized that I do this. But I am most happy as a mommy. Nothing has come as naturally to me as loving you. Some mommies are so worrisome or nervous about things or are always researching things- not me. I go by instinct. If I have a question or worry, I will look it up or ask for help, obviously, but I really feel confident about my instincts. I understand you. I know what you want/need. It helps, of course, that you are perfect and have such a great personality.
Well, kiddo, I need to wrap this up, but I just want to once again remind you how perfect and loved you are!
Love, mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment