Well, little man, I think I need to tell you a little bit about your "grandma" Beck, your daddy's mother. I don't want to slander her, or impose any feelings on you. You are an individual and when you are old enough to form an opinion about someone you don't know, you may do so in your own way.
But it will always be obvious that your daddy and I do not like her or respect her. Deep down, we will always love her, but because love is so deep, the opposite of it is not just "not like" but rather hate, so a part of us indeed hates her as well.
SHE has made the choice to close us out of her life. She is the one who erased all memory of us by removing all pictures of us from her home. She is the one who has made zero effort to create or maintain a relationship with us. And that rejection hurts. So we finally resolved to give up and accept these facts.
If she ever chooses to include us again, we will accept and include her into ours. But that is a choice left up to her.
When you are older and have questions, you are always welcome, and indeed encouraged, to ask and we will always answer honestly.
Should you choose to create a relationship with her, we will not stop you. As parents, we will protect you and set certain boundaries and expectations, of course, but we will support you in whatever ways we can.
Families are a funny thing, kiddo. And every one of them has problems. Growing up, my mom, Grandma Perkins, seemed so very close to her mom, my Grandma Odekirk, but as I got older, I learned of their sordid past and really respected my mom's ability to forgive for the sake of her own children. We can and will do this for you, if it is what is best for you and is what you want, but know too, that relationships take at least two active participants and we can only do so much. And that our first priority will always be to protect you. Always.
I love you, sweet boy, and I honestly feel sorry for your "grandma" Beck because of all the amazing things she is missing with you. Please know that daddy and I have tried. And tried. Please don't resent us because you don't know you're grandma Beck. Please know that we are only doing the best that we can, that no one is perfect and even momma and daddy make mistakes. Please know that everything we do, we do for you. And please know, that you are worth loving and anyone who chooses not to know you is not worth knowing. Please know that we all want to be better parents than our own, and please know that your daddy most certainly is.
We love you, Hudson Beck, and that is all that really matters.
~mommy and daddy
No comments:
Post a Comment